Thursday, May 10, 2007

10 Common Pitfalls to Avoid in ERP Software Evaluation

Through my experiences of working with over 1,000 end companies in manufacturing and distribution and over 200+ consulting organizations over the past 3 ½ years, here is a list of what I’ve come to see as “10 Common Pitfalls to Avoid in ERP Software Evaluation.” I felt that if I came up with some snappy way to describe them, it would be both more entertaining (at least in my mind) and have more impact than by just writing a bunch of narrative.

I’ll list them now, and will take each one of these to describe what is meant by the situation and what is recommended to overcome each of these scenarios. So here are “10 Common Pitfalls to Avoid in ERP Software Evaluation”
  1. “If you don’t know where you’re going, any path will do”
  2. “It’s just an IT project”
  3. “I don’t know what I want, but I’ll know it when I see it”
  4. “Analysis Paralysis”
  5. “I want a new system that looks and acts exactly like the one we have”… AKA “‘Here’s how we do it in the old system’ syndrome”
  6. “The Beauty Contest”
  7. “If only I had known then what I know now, before we said, ‘I do’”
  8. “The World Tour”
  9. “Let’s just let ‘good ole Joe’ run the project”
  10. “Once selection is done, my job is over”

9 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aldus Logan said...

yea this is write but if the thing has many advantages there are some disadvantages even, That is the case of ERP also. With these pitfalls ERP also have many advantages ehich should also be mentioned in the blog so that every one should have done comparison himself. thanks online business software

Unknown said...

Nice post. I think people should go through it. Thank you.


IT Services Company

Hopper said...

Good post. The tips which you had given are which I am going to adopt in my company. Thank you. ERP solutions

Unknown said...

nice blog it is very useful for sofwares.
Thanks...
Software System Solutions

Sanjay Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sanjay Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sanjay Kumar said...

Nice Post thanks.
Erp software and solution gurgaon

Unknown said...

India is expected to present ERP suppliers an important marketplace as manufacturing companies are significantly investing in technology solutions to improve their manufacturing operations.



ERP Market Growth